Thursday, April 24, 2014

21 Days... but whose counting...

So after today there are 21 more days of school.  Of course that doesn't count the obligatory 3 days of post planning.  I must admit I am tired.  I am weary of paperwork and more paperwork.  All I really want to do is teach.  I want to teach kids how to read, write and add.  That's what drove me to return to college at the age of 40.  I wish that teachers would be able to have a decision in the very thing we do.. teach.

Just when I get really frustrated I remind myself of why I am here.  It's not to compile numerous mounds of data, that no one will ever look at.  It's to teach 6 and 7 year olds how to read.  I am here to see my students smile, laugh and tell me they love to read.  I am here to watch their face light up when they check out their first chapter book.  I am here because I was fortunate enough to land a job in a time when a lot of teachers were losing theirs.

I know that I am making a difference.  I can see it in their faces.  And occasionally when I feel like I'm not making an impact I open the drawer on my desk that contains all of the letters and cards.  The ones that remind me of why I am here.  And if I'm lucky, I'll find one or 20  laying on my desk just to remind me:)

And if I am really lucky we will all be on green at the end of the day:)

No comments:

Post a Comment